Protein can help you naturally lose weight in some key ways. Ensuring you get plenty of protein can help increase your metabolism, change weight-regulating hormones and reduce your appetite. Protein can also help with belly fat specifically.
While many people use protein powder or shakes, in reality, the different types of protein tablet options that are available might be a better option if your primary goal is losing weight.
How Protein Helps with Weight Loss
There are different ways protein promotes weight loss, including:
- Protein changes the levels of hormones you have that regulate your weight. Your brain regulates your weight, especially the area known as the hypothalamus. Your brain processes a lot of information to know when to eat and how much to eat. Some of the most critical signals to the brain are hormones. When you replace carbs with fat and protein, you reduce your hunger hormone and boost the hormones that tell you you’re full. When you have enough protein, it helps you consume fewer calories.
- Protein appears to have a higher thermic effect compared to carbs and fat. That means that 20-30% of the calories you consume as protein are burned while digesting and metabolizing it.
- A high protein intake can correlate with a boosted metabolism. You burn more calories all the time, including while you sleep. High protein intake increases the number of calories burned by anywhere from 80 to 100 per day.
- Protein can reduce cravings and cut the urge to snack, especially at inopportune times, like the evenings.
- When you lose weight, you can also lose muscle, which tends to be something people don’t want. Having a lot of protein can help reduce muscle loss and help you look leaner and more fit.
What Are Protein Pills?
Protein pills are one way to get more of it in your diet.
Most protein pills include collagen or bone broth, and some are made from amino acids. Protein pills are different from powder supplements.
Protein powders like whey and casein are made to be mixed in beverages and shakes. Powders pack a lot of protein into a serving, but they also have downsides.
Downsides can include that powders are hard to transport and not convenient. They also tend to have a lot of calories, especially when added to shakes. If you’re trying to lose weight, pills have very few calories.
Collagen Protein Pills and Weight Loss
As mentioned, many protein pills include collagen. Collagen is a protein, naturally occurring in your body and has become a popular supplement in the past few years.
Collagen supplements can promote joint, skin, nail, and hair health.
They might also indirectly help with weight loss. Benefits of collagen for weight loss include:
- Collagen promotes satiety, meaning that you’ll feel fuller for longer and then, as a result, consume fewer calories.
- Building muscle mass is a major part of weight loss because muscle burns more calories at rest. Taking collagen can help increase muscle mass since it’s the primary structural protein that makes up your muscles.
- Some evidence suggests collagen can reduce the development and accumulation of fat cells.
- Indirectly collagen can help with weight loss because it reduces joint pain. When your joints are comfortable and healthy, you can be more physically active.
Bone Broth Pills and Weight Loss
Another version of protein pills some people use is bone broth-based.
Bone broth is full of protein and also collagen, so it helps with weight loss in the same ways they do. Animal bones are used to make these broths, and these contain magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, and other minerals that strengthen bones and promote overall health.
Bone marrows used to make broth are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation.
Amino Acid Protein Pills for Weight Loss
Branched-chain amino acids or BCAAs can be taken in pill form. BCAAs include three essential amino acids—leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
These supplements can help with muscle growth, exercise performance, and weight loss.
Your body can use BCAAs as building blocks to promote protein and muscle development.
An observational study of people consuming an average of 15 grams of BCAAs from their diet every day appeared to have up to a 30% lower risk of becoming overweight or obese than those who consumed 12 grams a day.
Protein pills are a different way to increase your intake. If your goal is losing weight or maintaining your weight, you might consider pills as an alternative to powders and shakes, which can often be high in calories and even additives like sugar.